Thursday, June 10, 2010

Code, lovely codes

Being a teacher, so it is my delight to view you guys thinking and to see you put your thoughts into words. I love it!

That is why it is delightful to me to work out the code question data from yesterday's 2 PM lecture. I just uploaded the data into your My Grades page in Webcourses, and it requires some explication.

  1. A15 answered: basic score that goes into your semester grade. If you clicked in a response, you got this.
  2. A15 correct: goes into potential bonus points at end of semester, as explained in syllabus.
  3. A15.1 decode: this is the transformation of your compact code answer to question 1, into clear English. I reviewed this to determine if you answered A15.1 correctly.
  4. ..A15.1 correct: If your decode was righteous, you got 1 point here.
  5. Similarly for A15.2 and A15.3
  6. The sum of ..A15.1 correct + ..A15.2 correct + ..A15.3 correct = item 2 on this list A15 correct.
(I usually use .. in Webcourses as a prefix for a subset of an exam score or some other score.)

So the subset of specific decodes and correct subscores tells you all about your performance. This is normal.

But the thing that just knocks me out is reading through your decodes. Some of the answers were unexpected but true, right on the mark. That is why this method is like a million bucks. Or, put it another way: Think of all the ways UCF forces you to regurgitate what your profs say in lecture -- part of the system. But these code questions have enough freedom and breadth that you the student can really be creative. Boy, howdy!